Turn gluten free pizza crust mix into mini flaky tart shells! These mushroom and caramelized onion tarts with freshly grated pecorino cheese make a great appetizer for any occasion.
For the Mini Tarts:
- 2 cups Brandless gluten free pizza crust, plus more for dusting
- 1 cup Brandless almond meal*
- 1 stick cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons cold water, plus more if needed
For the Filling:
- 3 tablespoons Brandless organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- Brandless sea salt
- 2 tablespoons Brandless balsamic vinegar
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, finely diced
- ½ teaspoon Brandless organic ground thyme
- ¼ teaspoon Brandless organic garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon Brandless organic ground black pepper
- Fresh thyme
- Brandless organic red pepper flakes, to taste
- Freshly grated pecorino cheese
- For the Mini Tart Crusts: Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or food processor, add the gluten free pizza crust mix and almond meal. Pulse/mix for a few seconds. Add butter and pulse for about 10 seconds until the butter is incorporated into the flours and is the size of peas.
- Beat together egg and ice water in a small bowl. Add to flour mixture and pulse/mix until the dough just comes together. Squeeze a small amount of dough to make sure it holds together. If dough is too dry, add more ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Transfer the dough to a well-floured surface and form into a disc with your hands.
- Lightly flour the dough and a rolling pin; gently roll your dough into a circle, about ¼ inch thick, adding more flour if the dough sticks. Using a round, 3 ¼ inch cookie cutter (or a pint glass), cut out 12 mini circles. Use a spatula to carefully transfer the cut outs, one at a time, to your muffin tins. Carefully press down the dough to fit the shape of the muffin tin. Place the mini tarts in the refrigerator for 10 minutes to let set.
- Bake the tarts for 15-20 minutes until the crust is light golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool slightly before adding filling.
- For the filling: 1. Heat 1 tablespoon Brandless olive oil over medium-high heat. Add sliced onions; season with salt, and cook, stirring occasionally until softened and golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar and cook until the liquid is evaporated and absorbed into the onions, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil to pan. Add mushrooms, ground thyme, garlic salt, black pepper, and a pinch of chili flakes. Add a few sprigs of fresh thyme and sage. Sauté until golden, about 5 minutes. Remove fresh thyme from mixture; season to taste.
- Add a few caramelized onions to the bottom of each tart shell. Top with ~1 tablespoon mushroom mixture. Garnish with freshly grated pecorino cheese and fresh thyme. Serve and enjoy!
Note: *Brandless almond meal- Add 1 package of Brandless raw almonds to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until finely ground and almonds have reached a flour-like consistency, 1 to 2 minutes.